Nail Salon Air Purifiers Eliminate Harmful Airborne
Chemical Fumes and Odors from Nail Products
Reduce hazardous chemical fumes and odors emitted from
nail polish, polish remover, acrylics, varnish and
adhesives commonly used at nail salons
Some of the most toxic indoor air is found in nail salons, and people who work in them often experience headaches, trouble breathing, skin rashes and other health problems from constantly breathing toxic chemical fumes from the products they use daily.
These hazardous chemicals pose health risks to you and your clients. Long term studies show that salon workers have higher risks of chronic conditions, including certain cancers, immune diseases, asthma and birth defects.
Noxious fumes are emitted from nail polish, polish remover, acrylics, varnish and adhesives commonly used at nail salons. These chemicals include toluene and formaldehyde, which the federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) classifies as carcinogens (cancer-causing), as well as ammonia, acetone, methacrylic acid, dibutyl phthalate, methylene glycol and ethyl methacrylate (an expanded list is provided below). While some ingredients are listed on the product label, manufacturers are not required to list all ingredients in products sold for professional use.
The fumes from these toxic chemicals are dangerous to the health of nail professionals and other salon employees, salon clients, and even local residents and area workers.
Don’t believe the manufacturers' hype that their products are safe. In 2012, the California Department of Toxic Substance Control tested nail polish topcoats, basecoats, thinners and lacquers that claimed to be free of at least one of these chemicals: toluene, dibutyl phthalate and formaldehyde, the so-called toxic trio of chemicals suspected of being linked to cancer and birth defects. Investigators found that 10 out of 12 products that claimed to be free of toluene actually contained it, with four of the products having dangerously high levels.
Protect the Health of Your Clients and Staff
There is a solution that eliminates the toxic chemical fumes and odors in nail salons. The Airpura V600 for one or two nail stations or the more powerful C600 DLX for high acrylic nails and multiple workstations.
How to Determine How Many Units You Need for Your Nail Salon
For one or two nail station doing occasional acrylic nails, the AirPura V600 with an 18lb carbon, which also includes a HEPA filter, would be recommended.
For multiple nail stations doing a lot of acrylic nails - one unit can handle roughly 3-4 nail stations, depending on the volume of acrylic nails done in a day - the 26lb special carbon C600 DLX is best because it addresses more types of vapour issues because of the blend. The main secret of the C600 DLX's effectiveness is the depth of carbon as well as the mass, not to mention the surface area. The blend is 5 parts coconut to 1 part potassium iodide impregnated carbon to quickly remove ammonia, formaldehyde and other chemical fumes emitted from nail salon products, especially from acrylyic nails.
Unique Features of Airpura Air Purifiers:
- All metal housing ensures no plastic vapors are emitted.
- Motor located out of the air flow. Most air cleaners blow the clean
air over the motor and pick up impurities.
- Electrical parts in a sealed chamber out of the airflow, which increases
safety and prevents off-gassing.
- Pressure sealed filter chamber prevents leakage of polluted air
- Felt gaskets seal the filter chamber to maximize filtration with
no rubber off-gassing found with other filters.
- Clean modern appearance fits in any decor.
- Low noise level (at 6 feet) 28.1db on low, 62.3db on high (560 CFM)
- Simple and direct unimpeded internal airflow avoids the air turbulence,
inefficiency and noise associated with more convoluted air cleaners.
C600 Nail Salon Air Cleaner Technical Specifications
- Room Size: Effective for up to 2000 sq ft.
- Air Flow: 560 CFM, more CFM than any other
portable unit available. Recycles the air every 30 minutes on high.
- Fan/Motor: Permanent split capacitor, backward
curved motorized impeller
- Watts: 120 on high, 40 on low
- Voltage Options: 115 volts or 220 volts
- Dimensions: 23" height, 15" diameter
- Weight: 49 lbs total weight
- Sound Level: 28.1db on low (at 6 feet), 62.3db
on high (560cfm), (Room level 25.1db)
- Housing / Finish: Powder coat steel body, 4 easy
- ETL Certification: Conforms to ANSI/UL 507 CSA
C22.2 no 113
- Odor / Chemical Control: 26 lbs. super carbon , 570 sq in surface area, 13" x
- Refillable Carbon Option: Large, deep 26 lb. carbon
bed removes the harmful chemicals and gases found in nail salon products.
Carbon can be refilled or replaced, your choice. The filter life in
public areas with heavy chemicals is 3 months.
- HEPA Barrier Filter: The HEPA Barrier post filter
traps carbon dust and particles, and should be replaced every 12 months
or less, depending on the quality of the air.
- Wall Mount Options: Suspension brackets are available
for vertical or horizontal mounting on a wall or column.
- Warranty: 5 year parts, 10 years labor.
- Color choices are black, white or cream.
For help determining what you need, call 866-875-4386.
Some of the More Hazardous Chemicals Found in Nail Products and Their Health Effects
This information comes from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Acetone from nail polish remover causes headaches, dizziness and irritates eyes, skin and throat.
- Acetonitrile is used to remove fingernail glue and can irritate the nose and throat and cause breathing problems, nausea, vomiting, weakness and exhaustion.
- Butyl acetate found in nail polish and polish remover causes headaches and irritates eyes, skin, nose, mouth and throat
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) from nail polish causes nausea and irritates eyes, skin, nose, mouth and throat.
- Ethyl acetate in nail polish, polish remover and fingernail glue irritates eyes, stomach, skin, nose, mouth and throat.
- Ethyl methacrylate (EMA) used in artificial nail liquid triggers asthma; irritates eyes, skin, nose and mouth and causes difficulty concentrating. Exposures while pregnant may affect your child.
- Formaldehyde found in nail polish and nail hardeners can cause breathing difficulty, allergic reactions, eye, skin and throat irritation. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen.
- Isopropyl acetate from nail polish and polish remover causes sleepiness and irritates the eyes, nose and throat.
- Methacrylic acid is a nail primer that can burn the skin and irritate eyes, skin, nose and throat.
- Methyl methacrylate (MMA) comes from artificial nail products and triggers asthma, irritates the eyes, skin, nose and mouth, and can cause problems concentrating and loss of smell.
- Quaternary ammonium compounds are used as disinfectants that can irritate the skin and nose and may cause asthma.
- Toluene from nail polish and fingernail glue causes dry, cracked skin, headaches, dizziness, numbness, irritation to eyes, nose, throat and lungs. It can also damage the liver and kidneys and cause harm to fetuses during pregnancy. Toluene is a carcinogen.
FREE Monthly Newsletters
We publish four FREE monthly newsletters.
To subscribe to any or all newsletters, click here: Subscribe
Lifestyles News - Inspiring, motivating
and empowering quotes, stories and articles
- Healthy Lifestyles
News - Articles, resources and products for living a healthier,
more vibrant life
- Inspired Biz News - Articles, stories and resources
for a more spiritual, whole-living work environment
- InspiredLiving.com News & Sale
Announcements - Sales events, new products and specials